Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Funny situation = Situación graciosa

[This entry was brought from Spymac]

Something funny happen me today. Around a quarter to two, one of my room mates noticed me that there was going to be a conference here in the university about coding theory. As I was discussing some other stuff by chat with one of my colleagues, I asked him if I should go there or not. He replied me that “of course!”. So, I prepared my notepad and my pencil and ran away to the place where that conference took place. Of course I was a couple of minutes late, the talk had just started. I entered to the class room, and interrupted the talker. He said me that he should switch to English because of me. I didn’t understand it immediately up to when my room mate said that I also could be Spanish.

Then, I looked to the room and all the attendees were Dutch spoken people. Indeed the person who was giving the talk switch to English and the talk continued. Meanwhile I realized that this talk was not so interesting for me, but I had to pay attention because the lecturer was speaking English only for my presence. I though, as my colleague told me in the chat, that my advisor was there, but he never appeared.

Anyway, I just listened to a nice talk titled “On linear codes whose weights and length have a common divisor”, for which I’m not really prepared...

I hope you have a nice day

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Algo gracioso me sucedió hoy. Cerca de las 1.45, uno de mis compañeros de oficina me anotició que iba a haber una conferencia aquí en la universidad acerca de teoría de códigos. Como justo estaba debatiendo algunas otras cosas por Chat con uno de mis colegas, le pregunté si debía ir o no. Me contestó que por supuesto. Así que, preparé mi bloc de notas y mi lápiz y corrí al lugar donde la conferencia era. Por supuesto llegué unos minutos tarde, la charla había empezado recién. Entré al aula, e interrumpí al conferencista. El me dijo que debía empezar a hablar inglés porque estaba yo. No entendía nada de inmediato, hasta que mi compañero de oficia dijo que también podría ser en español.

Luego, levanté la miraba para el aula y todos los asistentes eran personas de habla holandesa. De hecho, la persona que estaba dando la charla comenzó a darla en inglés y la charla continuó. Mientras tanto me di cuenta que la charla no era tan interesante para mí, pero debía prestar atención porque el conferencista estaba hablando inglés sólo por mi presencia. Pensé, como mi colega me había dicho en el Chat, que mi supervisor estaba allí, pero nunca apareció.

De todos modos, escuché una linda charla titulada “On linear codes whose weights and length have a common divisor”, para la cual no estoy realmente preparado…

Espero que tengan un buen día…

No comments: